Delhi Tourism Literature
Studio Bipolar was engaged by the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH-Delhi Chapter) to create hand drawn sketches of various monuments in and around Delhi for Tourist Pamphlets.
Project Name: Delhi Tourism Literature
Completion Year : 2011
Services : Hand Drawn Sketches
Duration : 3 months
A Walk around the Jantar Mantar:
Jantar Mantar is one of the historic structures that already existed in Central Delhi when modern day New Delhi was built. Like many other structures, this too became part of the modern city that arose, and it is, even today, one of Delhi’s most interesting and scientific structures.
The Jantar Mantar is an open-air observatory, a collection of astronomical instruments built by Sawai Jat Singh II in the early eighteenth century. He constructed it through royal sanction of the Mughal ruler at the time, Muhammed Shah ‘Rangeela’. Called the ‘Yantra Mantra’ (Instruments and Formuale) originally, the observatory was sited on flat ground free of trees to ensure that no shadows obstructed the use of instruments. The structures are unrelated to each other and their arrangement is such that none of the instruments interfere with the readings of another.
St Stephens’ College & Chapel
This building, one of Delhi University’s most prominent and prestigious colleges, was designed by British architect Walter George, who had come to Delhi to work with Baker on New Delhi but stayed on Post – Independence. The college building was designed by him in 1939 as the new premises for the college. St Stephens’ college was established by the Cambridge brotherhood in the 1850s and was initially housed in a haveli in the walled city and then another building in the Kashmere Gate area.
The building is an architectural beauty which evolved from George’s excellent understanding of load bearing brick construction and the severe climatic conditions of India. It has fine, well balanced proportions with an effective use of material.
In keeping with the concept of an impressive central vista, Lutyens and Baker envisaged a massive memorial arch to form one of the structures of the main axis, that is the King’s Way. The ‘All India War Memorial’ would be to King’s Way what the Arc du Triomphe is to the Champs Elysees. The monument was built as a memorial to Indian soldiers killed in battle during the First World War. Lutyens had begun designing the memorial arch before the First World War began. The war, however, delayed the project. The Duke of Connaught finally laid the foundation stone of the memorial during his visit to Delhi in 1921. Work began the same year and continued till 1931.
One of our favourite illustrations created for this project. Connaught Place was envisaged as a combination of commercial and residential buildings, modelled on the Royal Crescent in Bath, England. The plan was a two – storeyed open colonnaded structure where the ground floor would be taken up by commercial establishments while the floor above would be given over to residents. Today, despite the mushrooming of several other commercial areas in other parts of Delhi, Connaught Place remains almost synonymous with ‘Central Delhi’.